Pride of the Pocket: Get Your Tickets Today!

Eventbrite - Pride of the PocketJoin many friends and neighbors in the Pocket-Greenhaven community for the first annual Pride of the Pocket awards ceremony and bake-off!

The Pocket Greenhaven Community Association and our elected leaders will recognize some of the fantastic people and groups that make our neighborhood such a wonderful place to live, work and play!

Thursday April 26th, 2018
5:30 – 7:30 pm
School of Engineering & Sciences Gym, 7345 Gloria Dr.

March 2018 Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for March 8, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 17 people in attendance, plus representatives from Sacramento Fire Department and Sacramento Police Department)
  2. Presentation by Sacramento Fire Department.
    1. Fernando Vallejo gave an overview of what the Sacramento Fire Department does, including fire prevention, rescue operations, arson investigation, medical emergencies, boat rescue etc.
    2. What the public can do: check your smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors, sweep out chimneys, keep a list of medications and conditions for elderly relatives, have fire extinguishers, lock up flammable materials (especially if you have kids), have a family emergency and exit plan. They also need more stations in the area with the growing population and in the Delta Shores area. They would also like to have electric gurneys.
    3. If you have a good experience with the fire department, let your councilmember know and also say thank you to the first responders.
    4. Fernando answered several questions from the members.
  3. Presentation from Sac PD Officer Corey Johnson regarding a bike rodeo.
    1. Assigned to the Traffic Division (only has a Sargent and 5 officers – they used to have 30) and also runs the Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Grant, including giving out helmets (1,300 available) to kids.
    2. Does bike rodeos to teach people to be safer riders – doing a bicycle rodeo on Saturday, April 28th. Will also have a few bicycle mechanics to assist people and teach them about bikes.
    3. Traffic Complaint Line – 916-808-3777 – give specific information
    4. May is National Bike Safety Month.
  4. Update on Local Business Forum (Mary McCune).
    1. Mary gave an overview of the first successful Local Business Forum. We are planning another event for later in the Spring.
  5. Pride of the Pocket Awards (Devin Lavelle).
    1. April 26th will be Pride of the Pocket Awards. Four elected officials have agreed to present awards. The nomination deadline has passed and Devin will be providing the nominations to the committee for review soon.
    2. There will be a bake-off at the event. We will be soliciting more charitable donations for additional food etc. We have someone who has volunteered to do photography and donate flowers.
    3. Need volunteers for the decorating committee.
  6. Nonprofit Status (Tristan Brown).
    1. Tristan provided an update on the nonprofit status. We are currently waiting for our formal letter from the Internal Revenue Service.
  7. Membership (Erin Peth).
    1. Erin notified the group that as of that time, we have 13 formal members. She also informed people how to become a member and asked the group to spread the word to other interested people.
  8. Family Picnic (Erin Peth).
    1. Erin notified the group that we are still interested in doing an event like this and that we are in the initial planning stages.
  9. New Business
    1. An announcement was made about a book sale for the Robbie Waters Friends of the Library which starts on April 14, 2018.
    2. Members also expressed interest in doing additional clean-up efforts.
  10. Next General Membership Meeting – May 1, 2018
  11. Adjournment

Pride of the Pocket




Join many friends and neighbors in the Pocket-Greenhaven community for the first annual Pride of the Pocket awards ceremony and bake-off!

The Pocket Greenhaven Community Association and our elected leaders will recognize some of the fantastic people and groups that make our neighborhood such a wonderful place to live, work and play!

Thursday April 26th, 2018
5:30 – 7:30 pm
School of Engineering & Sciences Gym, 7345 Gloria Dr.
Tickets, includes snacks and beverages:
Individual – $15 ($10 for PGCA members)
Family – $30 ($25 for PGCA members)

Nominations Deadline: March 5th
Bake-off Entry Deadline: April 12th

Local Business Roundtable

The Pocket Greenhaven Community Association has invited the storefront businesses across our neighborhood to participate in a Local Business Roundtable on February 27th at 6 pm at the Robbie Waters Library.

One thing that sets our community association apart from most other associations in Sacramento is our inclusivity of membership: any resident or business owner in the Pocket-Greenhaven area.  Our inclusivity of membership is intentional, as one of our goals is to ensure all voices are at the table to protect, educate, and better our community. We hope by encouraging our local business owners to attend our meetings we can help better promote a “shop local” community campaign while also helping to address business concerns such as seasonal promotions, events, or chronic landlord/tenant issues. It is our goal that by organizing an informal local business roundtable we can help galvanize stronger support for our neighborhood businesses and help business owners navigate challenges when needed.

Residents and all local business owners welcome.

Please submit questions or agenda topics to info@pocketgreenhaven.org.

January Meeting Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for January 9, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 18 people in attendance)
  2. Presentation by Kimberly Bankston-Lee from the SOL (Saving Our Legacy African Americans for Smoke-Free Safe Places) Project
  3. Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association Spring Awards (Pride of the Pocket)
    1. Devin Lavelle provided an update on the status of the event. It will be in late April at the School of Engineering and Sciences. Ideas in progress for the event so far are awards from PGCA and elected officials, a cooking competition and having non-profits available to present about their organizations. The ticket prices will be determined (but the working plan is to charge $10/individual and $25/family, with a discount for PGCA members). PGCA will also be soliciting sponsorships and donations for the event.
  1. Sacramento Voters Choice Coalition
    1. Devin Lavelle gave an overview of the Voters Choice Act. PGCA held a forum in October and agreed to include information in our social media and put in our newsletter etc. to support the Sacramento Voters Choice Coalition. Devin also let everyone know that they individually could do outreach about this change to voting in our area.
  1. Local Business Forum
    1. Mary McCune provided an overview of the Local Business Forum, which will be held on February 27, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Robbie Waters Library Community Room. Mary is coordinating volunteers to go to local businesses to handout invitations and do personal outreach to them.
  1. Nonprofit Status
    1. Will Cannady (on behalf of Tristan Brown), provided an update on the current status, which is almost completed. Will and Tristan also opened a bank account for PGCA. The Board members have agreed to provide the initial funding for the cost of formally becoming a 501(c)(3) organization.
  1. Membership Form and Dues
    1. Erin Peth presented the Board’s recommendation that we formalize memberships for the PGCA and charge annual dues of $10/individual/year. There was some discussion about whether there should be an option for a household membership, but in the end the group agreed to keep it simple at the beginning and agreed to the Board’s recommendation of $10 individual memberships. Erin will work in the coming months on the membership application and the logistics of collecting dues etc.
  1. Pocket/Greenhaven Bike Rodeo
    1. GariRae Gray provided an update on her efforts to put together a Bike Rodeo in our area. She is trying to coordinate with the Sacramento Police Department, as the Department has received a school safety transportation grant. They might be interested in doing a bike rodeo in the parking lot of the library. The Councilman Jennings’ Office offered to assist with setting something like this up and helping to coordinate with SPD.
  2. New Business
    1. The Rivercats contacted Will Cannady about doing a night at the ball park. Will is going to get more information to bring back to the group. One of the attendees suggested partnering with Pocket Little League to promote any event.
    2. Will Cannady notified everyone that the South Land Park Neighborhood Association wants to do a clean-up at the intersection of 35th Avenue and Riverside Blvd. Will Cannady will continue to update the group on the event date etc.
    3. GeriRae Gray would like to do more outreach to the community. She is interested in doing something on traffic safety. The group had a thorough discussion about additional positive outreach efforts that would assist the community. One idea that was raised was to do some activities around parent involvement and students etc. Erin Peth discussed the Board’s idea of doing educational presentations at the membership meetings and encouraged new attendees to review the PGCA’s mission and vision statement to learn more about the organization’s purpose. Will Cannady emphasized that all ideas will be considered and that PGCA welcomes all to participate.
  3. Next General Membership Meeting – March 2018
  4. Adjournment

 

 

 

November Meeting Notes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for November 7, 2017 General Membership Meeting

  • Introductions (Approximately 13 people in attendance)
  • Update on Becoming a Non-Profit Organization.
    1. Will Cannady (on behalf of Tristan Brown) provided an update on the current status. Tristan has begun the process of officially registering PGCA as a 501(c)(3) organization and is waiting for the Articles of Incorporation to be returned from the Secretary of State’s Office. Once that happens Will and Tristan will open a bank account. The Board members have agreed to provide the initial funding for the cost of formally becoming a 501(c)(3) organization.
  • Update PGCA Bylaws.
    1. Will Cannady presented the 3 proposed amendments as follows:
      1. Conflict of Interest: Whenever an officer of the Association has a direct financial or personal interest in any contract coming before the Board, the affected person shall: a) fully disclose the nature of the interest; and, b) withdraw from discussion, lobbying and voting on the matter. Any transaction or vote involving a potential conflict of interest shall be approved only when a majority of disinterested officers determine that it is in the best interest of the Association to do so.  The minutes of meetings at which such votes are taken shall record such disclosure, abstention and rationale for approval.
      2. Dissolution: In the event of the dissolution of this association, any and all remaining assets shall be used exclusively for an exempt purpose as defined under section 501(c)3 of the internal revenue code.
      3. The Association shall not participate in or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office. The Association also shall not endorse any candidate for public office.
    2. Erin Peth made the motion to approve the amendments and another member seconded it. Two-thirds of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved in accordance with the vote requirement in the by-laws.
  • Business Community Round Table.
    1. Mary McCune, presented an update on the activities. She has created a draft letter to invite business members to a separate meeting in February to start discussing issues for businesses in the PGCA boundary lines.
    2. The issue was raised about how to define “local business” and how we should decide how to promote “local businesses.” Those discussions are on-going.
  • Mission/Values/Goals Document.
    1. Mary McCune and Devin Lavelle presented the Mission/Values/Goals document. Will Cannady encouraged those present to read through it before providing comments. The group was very appreciative that Mary and Devin put together the document and agreed it reflected the goals of the organization.
    2. Pat Aguiar moved to adopt the goals document. Will Cannady seconded it. A majority of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved.
  • Erin Peth provided an update on membership efforts. The goal is to establish a more formal membership procedure by using a form (on-line and paper format). The Board will also bring forward a proposal at the January meeting as to whether or not dues should be collected, and if so, how much the dues should be.
    • There was a discussion of how to handle voting if non-members are present at a meeting. Individuals had several suggestions on how to handle this issue.
    • Toni Tinker offered her expertise in website development and the collection of electronic payments.
  • Bike Safety Event
    1. GariRae Gray provided an overview of the bike safety event. Approximately 15 people attended that event.
    2. She saw an announcement about a school safety transportation grant to the Sacramento Police Department. They might be interested in doing a bike rodeo in the parking lot of the library.
  • Spring Pocket Awards Ceremony
    1. Devin Lavelle provided an update on the status of the ceremony and a possible venue for the ceremony. Devin is still looking for a good place to hold the event. Will Cannady is going to see if the school site is available.
  • New Business
    1. Jim Geary did a map of the boundaries of PGCA. It will help for membership efforts etc.
    2. Safety & Security Issue – One of the members brought up the issue of students hanging out after school outside the Taco Bell. Devin indicated that the Sacramento Police Department is working with the management of the facilities to try and resolve the issue.
  • Next General Membership Meeting – January 2018
  • Adjournment

 

 

 

Voter’s Choice Act Forum

Thank you to Raul Macias, James Schwab and Alice Jarboe for putting on an informative event on the Voter’s Choice Act.

If you are interested seeing the maps they are looking at in deciding vote center locations, check out the county’s website here: https://sacramentocounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=4d2f1f6cbd78435a9bedfc1463597277

VCA Map

If you would like to give feedback to the county, email them at: jarboea@saccounty.net

Proposed Bylaw Updates – Nov 2017

At the October 2017 Board Meeting, the Board recommended for adoption the following bylaw additions, which will be voted on at the November 7, 2017 General Meeting:

Conflict of Interest: Whenever an officer of the Association has a direct financial or personal interest in any contract coming before the Board, the affected person shall: a) fully disclose the nature of the interest; and, b) withdraw from discussion, lobbying and voting on the matter. Any transaction or vote involving a potential conflict of interest shall be approved only when a majority of disinterested officers determine that it is in the best interest of the Association to do so. The minutes of meetings at which such votes are taken shall record such disclosure, abstention and rationale for approval.

Dissolution: In the event of the dissolution of this association, any and all remaining assets shall be used exclusively for an exempt purpose as defined under section 501(c)3 of the internal revenue code.

Candidates: The Association shall not participate in or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office. The Association also shall not endorse any candidate for public office.

Voter’s Choice Act Forum

Please join the Pocket-Greenhaven Community Association and the ACLU of California for a discussion on the Voter’s Choice Act and how implementation will affect Sacramento County and the Pocket-Greenhaven Community.

RSVP here: http://vca.pocketgreenhaven.org/

Sacramento County is one of just four counties that has opted to implement a new model of elections in 2018. This new model brings major changes to how elections will be held as well as exciting opportunities. Specifically:

  • All voters will receive vote-by-mail ballots.
  • The county will make remote accessible vote-by-mail available to voters upon request.
  • Most of the county’s 550 polling places will close and be replaced with approximately 78 multi-function vote centers.
  • Voters can vote at any vote center, not just the one nearest to them.
  • Voters can register to vote at a vote center after the registration deadline, and including on Election Day.
  • Some vote centers will open beginning 10 days before Election Day, and the rest will open 3 days before the election.
  • The county will establish drop off sites that will open beginning 28 days before the election.

Sacramento is starting to make important decisions that will affect your community, including where to place vote centers and drop off sites, and how to conduct voter education and outreach. For this new model to work, the elections office nears to get input from communities. At our meeting we will give an overview, including some of the sites being considered as possible vote centers and drop off sites.

Please join us!

Date: October 24th
Time: 6 pm to 8 pm
Where: Robbie Waters Pocket-Greenhaven Library, Community Room
RSVP: vca.pocketgreenhaven.org

7335 Gloria Drive
Sacramento, CA 95831

Please let us know if you need any accommodations. Light refreshments will be served.

Bike Safety 101 Class makes the Pocket a little safer

Thank you to Drew Hart with the City of Sacramento for providing a very informative class! Our community has fantastic biking infrastructure, but ensuring we use it safely, whether sharing the parkway with pedestrians or the road with cars, safety is paramount. If you missed the class, register to take the class another time.

Bike101Pic2DML

We had a great turnout! Thanks to everyone who came!

Bike101Pic3DML

Thanks especially to GariRae Gray for organizing the class!

Bike101Pic4DML

Be sure to check out the City’s new protected bikeway effort and join Pocket resident (and Mayor) Darrell Steinberg on Wednesday, Oct 4 at 2 p.m. for a demonstration on how to use a protected bike lane.

ProtectedBikeway