November 2018 Meeting Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for November 7, 2018 General Membership Meeting

Introductions (Approximately 18 people in attendance)

Special Community Meeting Re: Local Package Theft and Cluster Mailbox Break-Ins.

  1. Will provided background information on the issues and efforts made thus far to address the thefts.
  2. Everyone went around the room to introduce themselves and explain their interest in the theft and cluster mailbox issues.
  3. A representative from Congresswoman Matsui’s office attended and committed to looking into the issue, including coordinating with the USPS etc.

Upcoming Events. (Will Cannady)

  1. Pocket Awards – Planning on doing the event again next Spring. Devin will begin soliciting donations soon. May not charge an entry fee this year.
  2. Business Roundtable – Have set up a series of business roundtables. Devin is doing profiles in the Pocket News for local brick and mortar businesses.
  3. Follow Up Special Meeting re: packet and cluster mailbox theft – Judy Foote brought up working with other neighborhoods like Natomas and Laguna/Elk Grove and maybe contacting the other neighborhood associations. She also had the idea of using on-line form letters, petitions etc.

Membership Drive.

  1. Working to increase the number of members – getting out the word at the grocery stores, canvassing neighborhoods, talking to your neighbors.
  2. We are planning to put something in the Pocket News in early 2019.
  3. Pocket Little League and Greenhaven Soccer Club opening day ceremonies would be a good opportunity to reach out to local families.
  4. The Board needs to determine how to remind people that they need to renew their memberships.

 New Business

Greenhaven Soccer Club is putting together their fundraiser in December. Devin gave an overview of the event and ask those in attendance to contribute to a donation to assist with the event.

Next General Membership Meeting – January 2019

Adjournment

 

 

 

September 2018 Meeting Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for September 4, 2018 General Membership Meeting

Introductions (Approximately 13 people in attendance)

Presentation from SMUD Board Member Genevieve Shiroma.

Shiroma provided an overview of her service on the SMUD Board and recent efforts for renewable energy etc. Ms. Shiroma’s term will expire in December. She offered to continue to be a resource to assist customers until that point.

Presentation by Kaelin Sherrel regarding upcoming changes to time-of-day rates.

Kaelin provided an overview of the new SMUD program called “Time of Day” rates, which will be rolling out in the Fall and in 2019. There are numerous resources on SMUD’s website for customers to compare how the new rates will affect them.

Upcoming Voter Forum on October 10, 2018 from 6:00 – 8:00. (Devin Lavelle).

Local elected officials and experts will be in attendance to provide an overview of the measures on the ballot in November.

Family Carnival Event (Jim Geary).

The Pocket-Greenhaven Parkway Kids’ Festival will be on October 21, 2018 8-12 p.m. behind Caroline Wenzel. Kids age 3 to 10-11 years old. Athletic events will be a non-competitive bike cruise and a non-competitive run – three age groups. There will also be food and carnival events.

Jim and Beth Koster of Greenhaven Soccer Club are going to be co-directors of the event.

They are working with the City on securing permits and signage.

Pocket Greenhaven Moms group will also be helping with the event.

 Taking a position on Measure U (Will Cannady).

Will provided an overview on Measure U 1.0 and Measure U 2.0. Devin also added more information about how the measures may affect the parks and park rangers.

The group discussed their opinions and thoughts about the measure and a straw poll was taken with strong support for the Measure.

New Business

Devin gave an update on the progress at the Promenade Shopping Center.

The group discussed the possibility of having goats brought out to assist in maintaining the grasses on the levee.

Next General Membership Meeting – November 7, 2018

Adjournment

July 2018 Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association
Minutes for July 10th, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  • Introductions (Approximately 24 people in attendance)
  • Friends of the Sacramento River Parkway Presentation by Jim Houpt

-Jim gave an overview on the purpose of the Friends of the Sacramento River Parkway group

-Jim explained the history of the Sacramento River Parkway and the need to continue to advocate for its completion.

-The PGCA Board will vote to take a position on supporting the Sacramento River Parkway at our next meeting.

  • Local Business Roundtable

-Quick update on how the last business roundtable went.

-Plans are being made for the next business roundtable meeting.

  • National Night Out, Tues. Aug. 7th

-We will be co-hosting a NNO event with Pocket Nextdoor on Tues. Aug.7th from 6-8 pm.

-We will also make an effort to reach out to other neighborhood groups to support their NNO events.

  • Pocket 4th of July Parade

-We reviewed our successful participation in the event.

  • Making Greenhaven Dr. safer for bike/ped crossers exiting Pocket Canal Path

-Presentation by Emily Piltch on how we could increase access from the Pocket Canal Path to local retail.

-Will follow up by working with Councilmember Jenning’s office and offering further support to Emily.

  • Pocket/Greenhaven Family Picnic

-Jim Geary and Erin Peth are still working with Councilmember Jennings office to set up the event.

  • Memorial for Cottonwood at Renfree Park

-GariRae will be looking into seeing what we could be doing to create a memorial for the Cottonwood tree at Renfree Park.

  • Crop Swap

-A neighborhood crop swap will be held on July 29th at 10 am in front of Robbie Waters Library

  • Budget update

-Have $1,028 in our account.

-Still working with FTB to finalize nonprofit status with the state.

Next general membership meeting, September 4th.

May 2018 Meeting Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for May 1, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  • Introductions (Approximately 13 people in attendance)
  • Presentation by Brendle Wells re: Resources Available at Robbie Waters Library.
    • Brendle gave an overview of all the resources available through the Sacramento Pubic Library, including the Library of Things, board games, video games, museum passes (Discover and Go – under the “services” part of the website), job coaching, providing opportunities for lifelong learning, etc.)
    • Brendle answered several questions from the members.
  • ACC Senior Services (Darrick Lam, Chief Executive Officer).
    • Darrick gave an overview of ACC programing. They are building a new Assisted Living and Memory Care Center called Maple Tree for 102 residents off the Pocket Road exit.
  • Next Local Business Roundtable (Mary McCune).
    • Thursday, June 28th from 6 – 8 p.m. at Robbie Waters. Focus will be on marketing efforts for this community and “shop local” campaigns. There will features in Pocket News and Inside Pocket and the committee will also do personalized outreach.
  • South Land Park Association asking for support re: Del Rio Trail (Will Cannady).
    • Jim Houpt gave an overview of the project, including from the perspective of the California State Railroad Museum Foundation.
    • The consensus of the individuals present was that the best approach was to send a letter supporting the project in concept, but not taking a position on any of the areas in dispute.
  • Review Pride of the Pocket Awards (Devin Lavelle).
    • Devin gave an overview of the Pride of the Pocket awards. Probably brought in revenue of about $500 -$600 and approximately 80 people attended.
  • Review Bike Rodeo (GariRae).
    • GariRae gave an overview of the Bike Rodeo Event. Sixty-six kids had registered before the event, but only 21 people attended. She thinks that 3 hours is too long and maybe a 2-hour event is better. She would recommend doing it ourselves in the future and not with Sac PD. They did fitting for helmets and trained on the rules of the road. Rick Jennings’ office helped quite a lot.
  • Pocket 4th of July Parade (Will Cannady).
    • Will is going to email the membership to form a committee to determine how to participate in and support the parade.
  • Family Picnic (Erin).
    • Potentially combing with an event with Rick Jennings on the Greenbelt on a Sunday in September. Jim is working with Jennings’ office and will coordinate with Erin. GariRae suggested that we combine it with a bike rodeo.
  • New Business
    • Will is soliciting questions for the May 12th candidate forum for the League of Women Voters.
  • Next General Membership Meeting – July 2018
  • Adjournment

March 2018 Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for March 8, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 17 people in attendance, plus representatives from Sacramento Fire Department and Sacramento Police Department)
  2. Presentation by Sacramento Fire Department.
    1. Fernando Vallejo gave an overview of what the Sacramento Fire Department does, including fire prevention, rescue operations, arson investigation, medical emergencies, boat rescue etc.
    2. What the public can do: check your smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors, sweep out chimneys, keep a list of medications and conditions for elderly relatives, have fire extinguishers, lock up flammable materials (especially if you have kids), have a family emergency and exit plan. They also need more stations in the area with the growing population and in the Delta Shores area. They would also like to have electric gurneys.
    3. If you have a good experience with the fire department, let your councilmember know and also say thank you to the first responders.
    4. Fernando answered several questions from the members.
  3. Presentation from Sac PD Officer Corey Johnson regarding a bike rodeo.
    1. Assigned to the Traffic Division (only has a Sargent and 5 officers – they used to have 30) and also runs the Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Grant, including giving out helmets (1,300 available) to kids.
    2. Does bike rodeos to teach people to be safer riders – doing a bicycle rodeo on Saturday, April 28th. Will also have a few bicycle mechanics to assist people and teach them about bikes.
    3. Traffic Complaint Line – 916-808-3777 – give specific information
    4. May is National Bike Safety Month.
  4. Update on Local Business Forum (Mary McCune).
    1. Mary gave an overview of the first successful Local Business Forum. We are planning another event for later in the Spring.
  5. Pride of the Pocket Awards (Devin Lavelle).
    1. April 26th will be Pride of the Pocket Awards. Four elected officials have agreed to present awards. The nomination deadline has passed and Devin will be providing the nominations to the committee for review soon.
    2. There will be a bake-off at the event. We will be soliciting more charitable donations for additional food etc. We have someone who has volunteered to do photography and donate flowers.
    3. Need volunteers for the decorating committee.
  6. Nonprofit Status (Tristan Brown).
    1. Tristan provided an update on the nonprofit status. We are currently waiting for our formal letter from the Internal Revenue Service.
  7. Membership (Erin Peth).
    1. Erin notified the group that as of that time, we have 13 formal members. She also informed people how to become a member and asked the group to spread the word to other interested people.
  8. Family Picnic (Erin Peth).
    1. Erin notified the group that we are still interested in doing an event like this and that we are in the initial planning stages.
  9. New Business
    1. An announcement was made about a book sale for the Robbie Waters Friends of the Library which starts on April 14, 2018.
    2. Members also expressed interest in doing additional clean-up efforts.
  10. Next General Membership Meeting – May 1, 2018
  11. Adjournment

January 2018 Meeting Minutes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for January 9, 2018 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 18 people in attendance)
  2. Presentation by Kimberly Bankston-Lee from the SOL (Saving Our Legacy African Americans for Smoke-Free Safe Places) Project
  3. Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association Spring Awards (Pride of the Pocket)
    1. Devin Lavelle provided an update on the status of the event. It will be in late April at the School of Engineering and Sciences. Ideas in progress for the event so far are awards from PGCA and elected officials, a cooking competition and having non-profits available to present about their organizations. The ticket prices will be determined (but the working plan is to charge $10/individual and $25/family, with a discount for PGCA members). PGCA will also be soliciting sponsorships and donations for the event.
  1. Sacramento Voters Choice Coalition
    1. Devin Lavelle gave an overview of the Voters Choice Act. PGCA held a forum in October and agreed to include information in our social media and put in our newsletter etc. to support the Sacramento Voters Choice Coalition. Devin also let everyone know that they individually could do outreach about this change to voting in our area.
  1. Local Business Forum
    1. Mary McCune provided an overview of the Local Business Forum, which will be held on February 27, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Robbie Waters Library Community Room. Mary is coordinating volunteers to go to local businesses to handout invitations and do personal outreach to them.
  1. Nonprofit Status
    1. Will Cannady (on behalf of Tristan Brown), provided an update on the current status, which is almost completed. Will and Tristan also opened a bank account for PGCA. The Board members have agreed to provide the initial funding for the cost of formally becoming a 501(c)(3) organization.
  1. Membership Form and Dues
    1. Erin Peth presented the Board’s recommendation that we formalize memberships for the PGCA and charge annual dues of $10/individual/year. There was some discussion about whether there should be an option for a household membership, but in the end the group agreed to keep it simple at the beginning and agreed to the Board’s recommendation of $10 individual memberships. Erin will work in the coming months on the membership application and the logistics of collecting dues etc.
  2. Pocket/Greenhaven Bike Rodeo
    1. GariRae Gray provided an update on her efforts to put together a Bike Rodeo in our area. She is trying to coordinate with the Sacramento Police Department, as the Department has received a school safety transportation grant. They might be interested in doing a bike rodeo in the parking lot of the library. The Councilman Jennings’ Office offered to assist with setting something like this up and helping to coordinate with SPD.
  3. New Business
    1. The Rivercats contacted Will Cannady about doing a night at the ball park. Will is going to get more information to bring back to the group. One of the attendees suggested partnering with Pocket Little League to promote any event.
    2. Will Cannady notified everyone that the South Land Park Neighborhood Association wants to do a clean-up at the intersection of 35th Avenue and Riverside Blvd. Will Cannady will continue to update the group on the event date etc.
    3. GeriRae Gray would like to do more outreach to the community. She is interested in doing something on traffic safety. The group had a thorough discussion about additional positive outreach efforts that would assist the community. One idea that was raised was to do some activities around parent involvement and students etc. Erin Peth discussed the Board’s idea of doing educational presentations at the membership meetings and encouraged new attendees to review the PGCA’s mission and vision statement to learn more about the organization’s purpose. Will Cannady emphasized that all ideas will be considered and that PGCA welcomes all to participate.
  4. Next General Membership Meeting – March 2018
  5. Adjournment

November 2017 Meeting Notes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for November 7, 2017 General Membership Meeting

  • Introductions (Approximately 13 people in attendance)
  • Update on Becoming a Non-Profit Organization.
    1. Will Cannady (on behalf of Tristan Brown) provided an update on the current status. Tristan has begun the process of officially registering PGCA as a 501(c)(3) organization and is waiting for the Articles of Incorporation to be returned from the Secretary of State’s Office. Once that happens Will and Tristan will open a bank account. The Board members have agreed to provide the initial funding for the cost of formally becoming a 501(c)(3) organization.
  • Update PGCA Bylaws.
    1. Will Cannady presented the 3 proposed amendments as follows:
      1. Conflict of Interest: Whenever an officer of the Association has a direct financial or personal interest in any contract coming before the Board, the affected person shall: a) fully disclose the nature of the interest; and, b) withdraw from discussion, lobbying and voting on the matter. Any transaction or vote involving a potential conflict of interest shall be approved only when a majority of disinterested officers determine that it is in the best interest of the Association to do so.  The minutes of meetings at which such votes are taken shall record such disclosure, abstention and rationale for approval.
      2. Dissolution: In the event of the dissolution of this association, any and all remaining assets shall be used exclusively for an exempt purpose as defined under section 501(c)3 of the internal revenue code.
      3. The Association shall not participate in or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office. The Association also shall not endorse any candidate for public office.
    2. Erin Peth made the motion to approve the amendments and another member seconded it. Two-thirds of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved in accordance with the vote requirement in the by-laws.
  • Business Community Round Table.
    1. Mary McCune, presented an update on the activities. She has created a draft letter to invite business members to a separate meeting in February to start discussing issues for businesses in the PGCA boundary lines.
    2. The issue was raised about how to define “local business” and how we should decide how to promote “local businesses.” Those discussions are on-going.
  • Mission/Values/Goals Document.
    1. Mary McCune and Devin Lavelle presented the Mission/Values/Goals document. Will Cannady encouraged those present to read through it before providing comments. The group was very appreciative that Mary and Devin put together the document and agreed it reflected the goals of the organization.
    2. Pat Aguiar moved to adopt the goals document. Will Cannady seconded it. A majority of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved.
  • Erin Peth provided an update on membership efforts. The goal is to establish a more formal membership procedure by using a form (on-line and paper format). The Board will also bring forward a proposal at the January meeting as to whether or not dues should be collected, and if so, how much the dues should be.
    • There was a discussion of how to handle voting if non-members are present at a meeting. Individuals had several suggestions on how to handle this issue.
    • Toni Tinker offered her expertise in website development and the collection of electronic payments.
  • Bike Safety Event
    1. GariRae Gray provided an overview of the bike safety event. Approximately 15 people attended that event.
    2. She saw an announcement about a school safety transportation grant to the Sacramento Police Department. They might be interested in doing a bike rodeo in the parking lot of the library.
  • Spring Pocket Awards Ceremony
    1. Devin Lavelle provided an update on the status of the ceremony and a possible venue for the ceremony. Devin is still looking for a good place to hold the event. Will Cannady is going to see if the school site is available.
  • New Business
    1. Jim Geary did a map of the boundaries of PGCA. It will help for membership efforts etc.
    2. Safety & Security Issue – One of the members brought up the issue of students hanging out after school outside the Taco Bell. Devin indicated that the Sacramento Police Department is working with the management of the facilities to try and resolve the issue.
  • Next General Membership Meeting – January 2018
  • Adjournment

 

 

 

Proposed Bylaw Updates – Nov 2017

At the October 2017 Board Meeting, the Board recommended for adoption the following bylaw additions, which will be voted on at the November 7, 2017 General Meeting:

Conflict of Interest: Whenever an officer of the Association has a direct financial or personal interest in any contract coming before the Board, the affected person shall: a) fully disclose the nature of the interest; and, b) withdraw from discussion, lobbying and voting on the matter. Any transaction or vote involving a potential conflict of interest shall be approved only when a majority of disinterested officers determine that it is in the best interest of the Association to do so. The minutes of meetings at which such votes are taken shall record such disclosure, abstention and rationale for approval.

Dissolution: In the event of the dissolution of this association, any and all remaining assets shall be used exclusively for an exempt purpose as defined under section 501(c)3 of the internal revenue code.

Candidates: The Association shall not participate in or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office. The Association also shall not endorse any candidate for public office.

September 2017 Meeting Minutes

We started our meeting by Devin sharing information with us regarding a Pocket/Greenhaven Awards event that would take place next Spring.  Our discussion revolved around where the event should be held, how much we should charge and what should we serve.  In the interim we decided to form a committee to help set up the event.  The committee consists of :

  • Devin Lavelle
  • Bill Cannady
  • Judy Foote
  • GariRae Gray
  • Jim Houpt
  • Mary McCune
  • Shawna McKnight
  • Pat Ramirez

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

Our Vice-President Mary McCune wanted to work on our group doing more to support local businesses.  Mary proposed drafting a letter of introduction to invite local businesses to our next meeting.  Mary also had a great idea urging our neighbors to shop local especially in light of Delta Shores going in.  A committee was formed to help support the effort.  The committee consists of:

  • Mary McCune
  • Bill Cannady
  • Judy Foote
  • GariRae Gray
  • Devin Lavelle
  • Shawna McKnight

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

GariRae next spoke to us about the upcoming bike safety event that will be held at Robbie Waters Library on Saturday, September 30th starting at 10 am.  The event will be led by one of the city’s transportation analysts and there is still room to sign up and Jim Geary gave us a quick recap of the well attended meeting regarding the runway closure at the Executive Airport.

Tristan Brown got us up to speed with what our group needs to do to become a nonprofit organization.  Tristan went into detail with what it means to be a “501 c3” nonprofit and we decided to form a committee to continue to look into the matter.  The committee consists of :

  • Tristan Brown
  • Will Cannady
  • Jim Geary
  • Pat Ramirez

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

Our discussion next turned to the ongoing issue of cluster mailbox break-ins throughout our neighborhood.  Devin filled us in on his efforts to try to find out just exactly how many break-ins there have been.  We concluded with agreeing that Devin and I will write a column regarding the issue in the the Pocket News.

There are some big changes coming to the ways that local voters will be going to the polls.  Devin filled us in on the Voter’s Choice Act and we agreed to host an event to help inform of our neighbors of the very important changes.

Kimberly Bankston-Lee shared with us the important work being done by the local nonprofits Saving Our Legacy Project and African Americans for Smoke-Free Safe Places.  We will be writing a letter in support of Kimberly’s group and hope to work with her more in the future.

We finished our meeting with Judy Foote telling us about an ongoing issue in our community consisting of homes being made into care facilities.  Judy explained that having these facilities in our neighborhood leads to less available housing for families.  This led to a large conversation about what our group can continue to do to attract more young families to our neighborhood.

Thank you to everyone who was able to make it out.  It’s great to see our group organizing so many important events for our community.  Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 7th at Robbie Waters Library.  See you then!

July 2017 Meeting Notes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for July 11, 2017 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 20 people in attendance)
  2. Discussion of request from other Neighborhood Associations to sign onto the letter asking the City of Sacramento to provide performance metrics by neighborhood.
    • Casanya Ursery, Community Affairs Director at Vice Mayor Rick Jennings’ office, stated that the Vice Mayor’s Office is trying to help break down the silos in the City and that the City has a new office of accountability etc.
    • Devin Lavelle made the motion to authorize the board to sign onto the letter and Will Cannady seconded it. A majority of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved.
  3. Update on meeting regarding changes at the Executive Airport on August 22, 2017.
    • Jim Geary provided an overview of the history and issues re: closing the runway.
    • The group decided that the meeting should be from 6:00 – 7:30.
    • The official from the county will give a presentation on the history of the air traffic etc. for about 15-20 minutes and then will take questions.
    • The group agreed publicize the event via social media, email list, Pocket News and Inside Pocket and that the focus should be on information sharing re: the changes.
  4. National Night Out – August 2nd.
    • Will Cannady provided an overview of the Pocket National Night Out event coordinated by NextDoor and Sacramento Police Department. Will has already arranged for the PGCA to participate in that gathering, but opened it up to the group to discuss whether we should send liaisons to other gatherings in our area.
    • After a substantial discussion, it was decided that this year we should focus on participating at the event at Didion and revisit this issue next year to see if reaching out at other events would be beneficial.
    • It was also agreed that it might make sense to form an “Ambassador Committee,” so that members of the group can do outreach to other members of the community. People suggested that we make buttons so ambassadors can be easily identified and provide the ambassadors with short talking points to use when discussing the PGCA’s goals and mission. The group decided to revisit this at a future meeting.
  5. Possible Community Meeting Regarding Cluster Mailbox Break-Ins.
    • Through information provided by attendees, it sounds like the USPS is installing new cluster boxes throughout the community, but there still seems to be some contradictory information about the status etc. The group agreed to continue to monitor the issue and keep it on the agenda for the next meeting. But also agreed that a community meeting probably is not needed at this time.
    • Devin Lavelle stated that he would follow up with Congresswoman Matsui’s Office on timeline etc. and share with the group if he receives any updates.
  6. Meeting Regarding the Promenade Shopping Center
    • Will Cannady and Devin Lavelle shared that Vice-Mayor Jennings’ office is coordinating a meeting regarding the vacancy rate at the Promenade Shopping Center on Monday, July 17, 2017. Will asked PGCA members to attend if possible. Devin will work on publicizing the event through the PGCA social media forums.
  7. New Business
    • It was agreed that future agendas should have an item for “New Business.”
    • Bike Training
      • GariRae Gray suggested that we try to sponsor a cycling safety class. The City of Sacramento, coordinating with Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates, puts them on. She is going to determine whether it would be possible to have an event in our area in September or October and report back to the group
    • Crop Swap
      • Will Cannady shared that there will be a Crop Swap in front of the library on August 6th.
  8. Next General Membership Meeting – September 13, 2017
  9. Adjournment