Voter's Choice Act Presentation

PCGA co-sponsored a forum on the Voter’s Choice Act on September 19, 2017. The forum included presentations from the Secretary of State’s Office, the County, ACLU, Asian Americans Advancing Justice, Common Cause and Disability Rights California.

The presentation is available for download here: VCA Sacramento Presentation

VCA-P1

If you have questions or want to learn more there will be another webinar on October 3, at noon. To attend, sign up here:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5861721173104705539

And there are a number of important ways to participate or give your input:

Sign up for a local hub.

Attend the Language Accessibility Advisory Committee and/or Voting Accessibility Advisory Committee meetings.

And provide feedback to the County:

New! Election Administration Plan

Voter's Choice Act Forum

Sacramento is currently in the process of planning for the implementation of the Voter’s Choice Act. The Voter’s Choice Act will make it easier for everyone in our County to vote, but will involve substantial changes to the system we are used to. For this new system to succeed we need to ensure all of Sacramento’s diverse communities are engaged. The Pocket-Greenhaven Community Association is co-sponsoring a forum, hosted by the ACLU of Northern California to learn about these changes, and ways for you and our community to give input.
 
When: September 19, 2017, 12 pm – 1:30 pm
Where: 1130 K St, Ste 300, Sacramento, CA 95814
 
 

September Meeting Minutes

We started our meeting by Devin sharing information with us regarding a Pocket/Greenhaven Awards event that would take place next Spring.  Our discussion revolved around where the event should be held, how much we should charge and what should we serve.  In the interim we decided to form a committee to help set up the event.  The committee consists of :

  • Devin Lavelle
  • Bill Cannady
  • Judy Foote
  • GariRae Gray
  • Jim Houpt
  • Mary McCune
  • Shawna McKnight
  • Pat Ramirez

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

Our Vice-President Mary McCune wanted to work on our group doing more to support local businesses.  Mary proposed drafting a letter of introduction to invite local businesses to our next meeting.  Mary also had a great idea urging our neighbors to shop local especially in light of Delta Shores going in.  A committee was formed to help support the effort.  The committee consists of:

  • Mary McCune
  • Bill Cannady
  • Judy Foote
  • GariRae Gray
  • Devin Lavelle
  • Shawna McKnight

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

GariRae next spoke to us about the upcoming bike safety event that will be held at Robbie Waters Library on Saturday, September 30th starting at 10 am.  The event will be led by one of the city’s transportation analysts and there is still room to sign up and Jim Geary gave us a quick recap of the well attended meeting regarding the runway closure at the Executive Airport.

Tristan Brown got us up to speed with what our group needs to do to become a nonprofit organization.  Tristan went into detail with what it means to be a “501 c3” nonprofit and we decided to form a committee to continue to look into the matter.  The committee consists of :

  • Tristan Brown
  • Will Cannady
  • Jim Geary
  • Pat Ramirez

In the next few weeks the committee will work on setting up a meeting and we will get an update at our next general meeting.

Our discussion next turned to the ongoing issue of cluster mailbox break-ins throughout our neighborhood.  Devin filled us in on his efforts to try to find out just exactly how many break-ins there have been.  We concluded with agreeing that Devin and I will write a column regarding the issue in the the Pocket News.

There are some big changes coming to the ways that local voters will be going to the polls.  Devin filled us in on the Voter’s Choice Act and we agreed to host an event to help inform of our neighbors of the very important changes.

Kimberly Bankston-Lee shared with us the important work being done by the local nonprofits Saving Our Legacy Project and African Americans for Smoke-Free Safe Places.  We will be writing a letter in support of Kimberly’s group and hope to work with her more in the future.

We finished our meeting with Judy Foote telling us about an ongoing issue in our community consisting of homes being made into care facilities.  Judy explained that having these facilities in our neighborhood leads to less available housing for families.  This led to a large conversation about what our group can continue to do to attract more young families to our neighborhood.

Thank you to everyone who was able to make it out.  It’s great to see our group organizing so many important events for our community.  Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 7th at Robbie Waters Library.  See you then!

Public Safety Town Hall

Vice Mayor Jennings hosted a town hall on Wednesday, along with City Manager Howard Chan, Assistant City Manager for Public Safety Arturo Sanchez, our new Chief of Police Daniel Hahn and SacPD Captain Dave Peletta. Thank you to the Vice Mayor and his staff for hosting the event and providing the slides to allow us to share them further.

Hahn

The Pocket Greenhaven Community continues to be the safest in the City, by far!

Additional Police Observation Devices will be installed shortly, covering every ingress & egress point for our neighborhood, helping to further improve safety.

PODS

An engaged community is the most important tool for maintaining public safety. Having the largest number of Nextdoor subscribers for any neighborhood in the city is a great sign!

NextdoorByNeighborhood

Download the full presentation.

Take a look at the City’s Homelessness Resource factsheet.

Urban Bicycle Safety 101

Pocket-Greenhaven is blessed with miles of bike paths, bike lanes, and a gorgeous levee trail. To ensure that residents stay safe on the trails, the Pocket-Greenhaven Neighborhood Association is sponsoring an “Urban Bicycling 101” class. The course will be presented by Drew Hart, a Transportation Analyst with the City of Sacramento, and will focus on bicycling regulations and riding tips to ensure your cycling experience is safe. Specific topics include:

  • Bicycling and the law
  • Bicycling on the street
  • Bicycling through intersections
  • Avoiding crashes
  • How to enjoy the ride

The course is geared towards adults and teens and is a great resource for parents who can relay the information to their children to ensure kids develop safe bicycling habits. (Bicycles are not necessary for the class.)

The class is scheduled for Saturday, September 30, 2017, from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM, and will be held at the Robbie Waters Pocket-Greenhaven Library, 7335 Gloria Drive. Registration is required and space is limited.

At this time, the class is only open to Sacramento City residents.

For any questions, contact GariRae Gray, bikingclass@gmail.com. Thanks GariRae for putting together this great event!

Click here to register.

Executive Airport Forum

Thank you to everyone who attended yesterday’s forum on the airport.

Pocket-Greenhaven residents should not notice significant changes as a result of runway 16’s closure. It was rarely used and its closure aims to improve safety at the airport.

Thanks to Jim Geary for organizing this Forum and to Glen Rickelton for a very informative presentation.

Download the full presentation here.

PGCA joins other neighborhoods in calling for City performance metrics

Eight neighborhoods around Sacramento joined together to call for the City to develop performance metrics to help demonstrate how well it is meeting community needs. This program will break down silos to assemble existing city data and make it publicly available, broken out by neighborhood. In doing so, it will increase transparency and provide our city’s excellent staff with additional tools to drive continuous improvement in City services.

Katie Valenzuela Garcia of the Oak Park Neighborhood Association started the charge and our own Board Member, Devin Lavelle presented at the last membership meeting. The membership unanimously voted to sign on to the letter, which has now been delivered to Mayor Darrell Steinberg, bearing our President, Will Cannady’s name.

Will was joined in signing the letter by:

  • Katie Valenzuela Garcia, Oak Park Neighborhood Association
  • Luree Stetson, Upper Land Park Neighbors
  • Sean Wright, Alkali and Mansion Flats Historic Neighborhood Association
  • Marni Leger, Southside Park Neighborhood Association
  • Angela Tillotson, Midtown Neighborhood Association
  • Sean Manwaring, Newton Booth Neighborhoods Association
  • Rose Cabral, Colonial Heights Neighborhood Association

Read the letter:

NeighborhoodMetrics

July Meeting Notes

Pocket Greenhaven Community Association

Minutes for July 11, 2017 General Membership Meeting

  1. Introductions (Approximately 20 people in attendance)
  2. Discussion of request from other Neighborhood Associations to sign onto the letter asking the City of Sacramento to provide performance metrics by neighborhood.
    • Casanya Ursery, Community Affairs Director at Vice Mayor Rick Jennings’ office, stated that the Vice Mayor’s Office is trying to help break down the silos in the City and that the City has a new office of accountability etc.
    • Devin Lavelle made the motion to authorize the board to sign onto the letter and Will Cannady seconded it. A majority of the individuals present voted for the motion and it was approved.
  3. Update on meeting regarding changes at the Executive Airport on August 22, 2017.
    • Jim Geary provided an overview of the history and issues re: closing the runway.
    • The group decided that the meeting should be from 6:00 – 7:30.
    • The official from the county will give a presentation on the history of the air traffic etc. for about 15-20 minutes and then will take questions.
    • The group agreed publicize the event via social media, email list, Pocket News and Inside Pocket and that the focus should be on information sharing re: the changes.
  4. National Night Out – August 2nd.
    • Will Cannady provided an overview of the Pocket National Night Out event coordinated by NextDoor and Sacramento Police Department. Will has already arranged for the PGCA to participate in that gathering, but opened it up to the group to discuss whether we should send liaisons to other gatherings in our area.
    • After a substantial discussion, it was decided that this year we should focus on participating at the event at Didion and revisit this issue next year to see if reaching out at other events would be beneficial.
    • It was also agreed that it might make sense to form an “Ambassador Committee,” so that members of the group can do outreach to other members of the community. People suggested that we make buttons so ambassadors can be easily identified and provide the ambassadors with short talking points to use when discussing the PGCA’s goals and mission. The group decided to revisit this at a future meeting.
  5. Possible Community Meeting Regarding Cluster Mailbox Break-Ins.
    • Through information provided by attendees, it sounds like the USPS is installing new cluster boxes throughout the community, but there still seems to be some contradictory information about the status etc. The group agreed to continue to monitor the issue and keep it on the agenda for the next meeting. But also agreed that a community meeting probably is not needed at this time.
    • Devin Lavelle stated that he would follow up with Congresswoman Matsui’s Office on timeline etc. and share with the group if he receives any updates.
  6. Meeting Regarding the Promenade Shopping Center
    • Will Cannady and Devin Lavelle shared that Vice-Mayor Jennings’ office is coordinating a meeting regarding the vacancy rate at the Promenade Shopping Center on Monday, July 17, 2017. Will asked PGCA members to attend if possible. Devin will work on publicizing the event through the PGCA social media forums.
  7. New Business
    • It was agreed that future agendas should have an item for “New Business.”
    • Bike Training
      • GariRae Gray suggested that we try to sponsor a cycling safety class. The City of Sacramento, coordinating with Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates, puts them on. She is going to determine whether it would be possible to have an event in our area in September or October and report back to the group
    • Crop Swap
      • Will Cannady shared that there will be a Crop Swap in front of the library on August 6th.
  8. Next General Membership Meeting – September 13, 2017
  9. Adjournment

Executive Airport Forum

What’s Happening at Executive Airport?
One runway is being permanently closed.
Will this impact flight patterns over our neighborhood?
What are the future plans for this airport?

For the answer to these questions, as well as many more, attend the community meeting scheduled by the Pocket Greenhaven Community Association with the Sacramento County Airport System Planning & Design Division.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 6 p.m.
Robbie Waters Library
Community Room
7335 Gloria Drive, Sacramento

National Night Out at Lewis Park/Didion

The Pocket Greenhaven Community Association will be joining the National Night Out event hosted by Nextdoor – Pocket. If your immediate neighborhood is not hosting an event, we invite you to join us. There will be FREE Mustache Mike’s Italian Ice, Teen Band “Lucky Duck” from West Campus High School, Give-aways and visits by SacPD & elected officials.

When: Tuesday, 8/1 from 6pm – 8pm
Where: Lewis Park/Didion Gym

Thanks to our friend and neighbor Kathi Windheim for her hard work in leading the charge to put this together!