National Night Out at Lewis Park/Didion

The Pocket Greenhaven Community Association will be joining the National Night Out event hosted by Nextdoor – Pocket. If your immediate neighborhood is not hosting an event, we invite you to join us. There will be FREE Mustache Mike’s Italian Ice, Teen Band “Lucky Duck” from West Campus High School, Give-aways and visits by SacPD & elected officials.

When: Tuesday, 8/1 from 6pm – 8pm
Where: Lewis Park/Didion Gym

Thanks to our friend and neighbor Kathi Windheim for her hard work in leading the charge to put this together!

First Annual Pocket-Greenhaven Family BBQ

PGBBQFlierOur first annual Family BBQ was a huge success! Nearly 300 joined us for a fun day in the park with food, music, a bounce house, a taikwando demonstration, activities provided by the Greenhaven Soccer Club and the Friends of the Library and a visit from Otterby Reading! Friends and neighbors of all ages came out to enjoy the company of their neighbors a beautiful Saturday at Garcia Bend Park and we are grateful for everyone who joined us! Huge thanks go out to Vice Mayor Rick Jennings for his support with the logistics of this event, to Raley’s, Grocery Outlet and Sacramento Republic for their donations and to the Kennedy High ROTC cadets for all of their hard work!

And a huge, extra special thank you to Fernando Vallejo and our local firefighters for manning the grill and providing much of the food (250 hot dogs!) for the event.

Most of all, thanks to the Pocket Moms for leading the charge on putting this event together!

Enjoy a few pictures from our event, courtesy of local parent, Luke Pearson and check out the full album on Facebook:

May 2017 Meeting Minutes

Our group had a very productive meeting last Wednesday and it was great to have so many new members in attendance.  The first item that we covered was the upcoming Pocket/Greenhaven Family BBQ.  This event will be happening on June 10th from 10:30-1 at Garcia Bend Park.  Our group will be one of the event “partners” and so far up to 70 people have RSVP’d that they will be attending.  Both Fiona and Erin have done an amazing job organizing the event.  Be sure to mark the event and your calendar and I hope everyone can attend.

The next item on the agenda was Devin’s great idea to have a
“Pocket/Greenhaven Community Awards” ceremony. Devin suggested this event be modeled after Councilmember Ashby’s awards event in her district and that we should plan on having it sometime next Spring.

Regarding our continued goal of advocating for more retail and restaurants options in the Promenade Shopping Center, we discussed various plans to move ahead on the issue.  I shared that the information listed on the shopping center’s website was not up to date and the attempt to phone the owners did not work.  The next steps we planned to take were as follows:

-I will reach out to my optometrist who has an office in the shopping center.

-Tristan will reach out to Region Business, Sacramento Economic Council and our city’s finance director regarding supporting the shopping center.

-Mary will reach out to her contacts with PBIDs throughout the city to get advice on how we can better advocate for businesses in the Promenade.

Recently one of the major runways was shut down at Sacramento Executive Airport.  Jim shared with us how this was done as cost cutting measure by the county.  Unfortunately, shutting the runway down has led to more planes flying over our neighborhood.  Jim will continue the look into the issue and we’ll plan to host a community meeting sometime this summer to give our neighbors more of an opportunity to weigh in on these changes.

Our community association will soon have a monthly column in the Pocket News and we’ll also be hosting another series of crop swaps this summer.  We also decided to be involved in this year’s Pocket 4th of July Parade.  The idea was to have us walk as a group holding a banner and throwing candy.  Tristan has also offered the use of his old Lincoln Continental.  We’ll correspond more via email regarding the parade over the next few weeks.

The issue of cluster mailbox break-ins has not gone away.  Our group agreed that we could use a portion of our next meeting to host a community forum to address the issue.  Kathi Windheim has offered to contact SacPD to help answer questions at the forum as well.  We’ll start work on getting the word out about the meeting in the next week.

Finally we elected our first board.  The results are as follows:

Seat 1 – Pat

Seat 2 – Will

Seat 3 – Erin

Seat 4 – Tristian

Seat 5 – Devin

Seat 6 – Jim Geary

Seat 7 – Mary

The board will meet in the new few weeks to elect officers.  Thank you again to everyone who made it out last Wednesday.  I am very proud of the group we have put together.  It’s exciting to have so many opportunities to make the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood a better place.  Thank you for your continued help and support.

Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association Announcement

After serving the community for over a year The Pocket/Greenhaven Community Forum will be transitioning into the Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association.  The Pocket/Greenhaven Community Forum has served as a venue in which community members could come together to discuss and work on local issues.  Some of the group’s accomplishments over the last year consist of:

  • A highly successful survey of community interests regarding local restaurants & retails options as well as quality of life issues.
  • A series of community crop swaps where neighbors exchanged their extra produce.
  • A highly informative 2016 voter forum attended by one hundred community members

Looking forward, the Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association will be co-hosting a local family event with the “Pocket Moms” group on June 10th as well as starting a discussion with the owners of the Promenade Shopping Center regarding the community need for additional retail and restaurants.  The main goal of the association will be to continue to serve as a community forum in which neighbors can come together to share their thoughts and feelings on important local issues.

Please feel free to visit the following to keep up todate with the PGCA:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pocket.Community.Association

Website: https://www.pocketgreenhaven.org 

Twitter: @PocketCivics

Pocket/Greenhaven Moms Join with Community Association & VM Jennings to Host Family BBQ

Families in the Pocket looking for a fun opportunity to meet other families in our community are invited to a barbecue on June 10, from 10:30 am to 1 pm at Garcia Bend Park. Moms will be organizing activities for kids of all ages and our local firefighters will be barbecuing lunch. Otterby Reading will be on hand to take pictures and sign kids up for the Library’s summer reading challenge.

The event is free and all families in our community are invited to attend and participate.

The Pocket/Greenhaven Moms are organized through Facebook. Started in 2013 by Karen Lookingbill, the group connects moms in the community online and through a variety of activities like kids’ play dates. Fiona Lavelle and Erin Peth are co-managing for this event.

The Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association was started in 2015 by Will Cannady to provide a forum for discussing issues in our neighborhood and bringing neighbors together to strengthen friendships and community. Devin Lavelle is leading the groups’ efforts for this event.

Vice Mayor Rick Jennings has provided invaluable logistical support to help make this event a reality.

March 2017 Meeting Minutes

We started off our last meeting with a robust discussion around what the content of our letter to the owners of the Promenade Shopping Center should consist of. The group decided that instead of sending a letter with information from our survey  that we should instead invite them to our next meeting.  The goal of inviting them to our meeting
would give us a chance to speak with them personally about the information that we gathered in our survey.  Our letter to the owners would then start with a brief explanation of who we are and explain the concerns our neighbors have about the vacancies at the shopping center.  This would allow the owners to clear up any misconceptions regarding the vacancies and we could share with them the data we
gathered showing there is significant interest in supporting new retail and restaurants in the shopping center.  I’ll be reworking the letter and I’ll send out another rough draft for everyone to review in the next few days.

Regarding our bylaws, we once again did a thorough review of what we thought our group’s guiding document should entail.   One of the big changes we looked at was a change to our group’s name.  The discussion regarding our group’s name revolved what we felt the purpose of our group entailed.  While we all agreed that our main goal was to be a
“community forum,” we also discussed what name our group should consist of to have the greatest impact.  The group felt that going with the name, Pocket/Greenhaven Community Association would be the best step forward now that we had firmly established ourselves.  At the same time it was stressed that we should also include “A Community Forum” with our title so that community members would also feel
welcome to join and discuss pertinent neighborhood issues.   After a few minor changes we unanimously voted to accept our bylaws. I will be reaching out to neighborhood services to have us officially added to the city website.  We will also vote on our our board members at the next meeting.

Our final topic of the evening was the upcoming family event that is planned for the morning of June 10th at Garcia Bend Park.  Fiona, Devin and Erin have done an amazing job  with the planning.  They have been able to enlist the Pocket Moms group, Vice-Mayor Jennings office and possibly the Fire Dept. to help host our BBQ.  As more details become available we’ll make sure to share them with the group.

Our next meeting will be held at Robbie Waters Library on May 24th from 6-8 PM.  I’ll be sure to send out a revised version of the letter soon and we’ll continue to discuss our progress in working with the owners of the Promenade Shopping Center via email over the next few weeks.  Thank you all again for your help and support.  I am very proud of all that our group has accomplished in little over a year.
We have founded an important organization that will continue to make our neighborhood better for years to come.  I’m looking forward to continuing to work with you all.

Fantastic Turnout for the Fall Voter Forum

Thank you to Dr. Kim Nalder of the Project for an Informed Electorate, Trudy Schafer of the League of Women Voters, Supervisor Patrick Kennedy and Dennis Rogers on behalf of Vice Mayor Rick Jennings for a fantastic event and thank you to the 70 neighbors who came out and shared their evenings with us.

The PowerPoint from tonight’s event is available here:

2016-pgcf-ppt-slide

Dr. Nalder’s Videos from the Project for an Informed Electorate’s event with the Legislative Analyst’s Office are available here:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8JP4nspRJs?list=PL_Bp2IKmRtDD0xid4h3XXXjCbVMEEae9k]

Fall 2016 Voter Information Forum

With 17 statewide initiatives and 3 local measures on the ballot, voters in the Pocket-Greenhaven community will have a lot of decisions to make this fall.

To help inform these decisions, The Pocket-Greenhaven Community Forum is bringing together a group of experts to provide a non-partisan overview of the measures, including key background on who is supporting and opposing them, who is funding them and, most importantly, what they will really do.

Dr. Kim Nalder of the Project for an Informed Electorate at Sacramento State will provide an overview of the ballot measures. Trudy Schafer will provide the League of Women Voters’ perspective on key measures. Supervisor Kennedy and Vice Mayor Jennings (invited) will provide their perspectives.

When: Thursday, October 6th, 6:30 PM

Where: Robbie Waters Pocket-Greenhaven Library

RSVP Requested: http://pocket-forum2016.eventbrite.com